Laser hair removal is making it easier than ever to get rid of unwanted hair, and because of that, it is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures being done in the US. Laser hair removal can be used for removing hair from all different places on the body.
Laser Hair Removal: The Most Effective and Longest Lasting Hair Removal
Hair removal can be an arduous process that can also take a lot of time. Shaving, waxing or plucking can also cause irritation each time you do them. Laser hair removal can make your skin smooth and hairless without the daily or weekly maintenance required with other methods. Laser treatment produces better results that last longer than other methods, especially when treating the more obvious darker hairs.
Laser Hair Removal vs. Waxing for Hair Removal
We highly recommend laser hair removal as a much better alternative to waxing. Here’s a comparison to show you why:
Laser Hair Removal Treatment
- Generally takes 4-6 treatments, then occasional as needed individual appointments
- Very little or no downtime, sometimes causes slight pinkness of skin after treatment
- Destroys hair follicles so hair doesn’t return from that follicle
- Sometimes follow up treatments are needed for areas that grow new follicles
- Less reactive and intrusive for your body
- Leaves skin more susceptible to sunburn after treatment
Waxing for hair removal
- Generally requires a waxing every 3-6 weeks depending on the person and the goals
- Hair regrowth is generally noticeable after 3-4 weeks
- Can tend to leave the skin red or blotchy
- Rips hair out at root, so hair just has to grow back from below the surface
- More reactive and intrusive for your body
- Opens up pores so that skin is generally irritated and more susceptible to infection
- With bikini waxing this can also lead to increased chances of STIs
Laser Hair Removal is most commonly used for people who want to remove hair from:
• Face • Legs • Bikini line • Arms • Underarms •
Common Concerns and Questions
Is there any downtime after getting Laser Hair Removal?
Generally, there is no downtime needed. Some people will have slight pinkness in the treated area, especially after treating an area that is more dense with hair follicles. This is more common with men than women because their hair tends to be denser.
Do I need to do anything before or after treatment?
We advise to makes sure to wear sunscreen for the 1-2 weeks before treatment (depending on the sensitivity of your skin) and for 1-2 weeks after treatment, as your skin will be slightly more sensitive right after laser treatment.
Is it painful to get laser hair removal?
Most of our patients describe it as a warm, tingly feeling with minimal to moderate pain. It is often compared to a rubber band snapping on your skin.
How much does it cost?
Cost varies based on the size of the area being treated.
Is laser treatment safe?
When performed by a trained professional laser hair removal treatment is completely safe. However, even if you don’t come into Shelby Dermatology or our sister practice Aesthetic Dermatology we highly recommend you go to a practice with board certified dermatologists to get laser hair removal done. If someone is not trained properly or knowledgeable enough about the process and how it works and attempts to perform the treatment, they could cause lasting damage to your skin.
How many treatments will I need?
It depends on where you are getting the treatment and how dense the hair follicles are in that region, but generally speaking about 4-6 treatments are needed. Facial treatments generally take 6 treatments, while most other areas are closer to 4.